Posted to uk.d-i-y
Martin Martin is offline

Default Concrete fence posts

Hi,

I am going to build a garden fence with posts which will be in very
close proximity to the foundations of an adjacent area of paving. For
this I want posts which won't need replacing every 10 years (with
consequential disturbance of the foundation) and I am thinking that
concrete posts will be better than wood for this.

I went to the local builders merchant this weekend and was appalled by
the quality of the posts they were offering - rough edges and full of
bubbles. I just can't believe they will surviving more than a few years
before the rebar starts to rust.

Are there any magic words I can speak when phoning around other
suppliers (e.g. name of a manufacture, name of a product, or particular
type of post) that will ensure that I get good quality posts which will
last longer than wood. I am looking for posts that I put rails and
featherboards onto, not slotted posts for panels.

Thanks,
Martin.