Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Rodo Rodo is offline

Default Philips 42" plasma almost comes on by itself ? (Otherwise works fine)

There is a setting for the time but it looks like it is only to display it
on the screen, I can't find a programmable "On" feature and remember that it
doesn't come all the way on. The screen gets slightly bright for the 10 secs
then it goes dark after the second click. Effectively turning it off. One
thing I forgot to mention is that the front green LED that it is on when the
TV is actually on does not turn on during the 10 secs glitch.

Thanks

"Charles" wrote in message
. ..

"Rodo" wrote in message
Hi all,

I bought this Philips plasma TV from Costco (Model# 42PF9431D/37). It is
on the wall in my bedroom. I noticed that it would click as if I turned
it on and after 10 seconds click again like if I turned it off when the
TV is off. This happens like once or twice a day. Because it has done it
at night when the room is completely dark, I can see the screen lights up
a bit. It never comes completely on when it is doing this. Otherwise the
TV works fine, no video or audio problems at all. After a few times of
these I decided to take it back to Costco and got another (same model
no.). Guess what happened? ... I got the same problem again :-(. So I
decided to do some things to rule out the power outlet:

I plugged it into an extension and into another outlet (away from my
bedroom). No change.
I plugged it into a UPS. No change
I cover the IR sensor in front of the TV. No change.

I finally called Philips and they referred me to a repair center. I just
got it back after they had it for two month. The receipt shows they
changed something called PSU and SSB. Here is the depressing part ... NO
CHANGE!.

I called my credit card company and I can do something with them to
return it but I really like the TV. Other than this click on, 10 secs
later click off, it really is a nice set. Not to mention that the
installation is already done on the wall. Anyway ...Can anyone suggest
what else I can check in my place that may be causing this TV to do this
?

Is there a programmable wake-up mode (like a clock radio). Is there any
other programmable feature that might cause this?

Do you have ghosts? Just kidding, as I know how frustrating these things
can be.