Posted to rec.woodworking
George George is offline

Default tooth and nail puzzle

"Eigenvector" wrote in message

I find it interesting that I got such different results than what Doug
got.

2 holes, one across the grain of a 2x4, one with the grain. In both cases
of overnight soaking in water the hole was SMALLER. The hole across the
grain was barely smaller, probably less than 5%, the hole with the grain
was visibly smaller and very distorted too.

Sorry, I'm unconvinced that the hole would get larger.

Don't forget the nail. The wood will contract against itself as it dries
once again, but there's nothing to pull against in the hole. Bowl turners
take advantage of this by turning green and allowing to dry, which results
in less contraction across the grain than a board.

Owners of the Hoadley book will find some interesting information on page
169 or thereabout, depending on edition. Round tenons.