Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Residential Stairlifts

wrote:
On Jul 7, 11:09?am, dpb wrote:
TroutFisher wrote:
This is for anyone who has one or researched installing
one.......Need
feedback.
What is the average cost for a good quality stairlift to be installed
in
an existing home? A simple 9 or 10 feet vertical run, with no turns.
I'm thinking 3 to 5 thousand but I could be way off.
Are they worth the money? Maintenance requirements? Operational
reliability?

That about covers the mid-range. You can go 2-3x up, maybe 3/4x down.

They're worth it if they're needed. Reliability is in this case in what
few I've seen/been around (maybe half-dozen(?)) seems reasonably good
but I'd say it definitely is related to initial cost (until you get to
the really high-end models that have a tremendous amount of cosmetics
built into them like the custom matching woodwork, etc., ...

--

user must be physically and mentall competent enough to use device.

power failures must be prepared for. the person is stuck half way down
now what.

I'm sure there may be some that have only line power, but all the ones I
have actually seen installed actually operate off battery pack which is
recharged from line for precisely that reason...

The reliability problems of these (that have had problems) have been
mostly things like the interlocks on the guards, limit switch(es)
adjustment, etc., ... Higher end units have had fewer issues
im(somewhat limited)e.