Posted to alt.home.repair
M PRESSMAN M PRESSMAN is offline

Default Voltage when Switch is Off

thanks.. what do you mean by a floating load bearing neutral?

Michael

"Zephyr" wrote in message
news:rvydnUFKy4FNYBLbnZ2dnUVZ_j6dnZ2d@championbroa dband.com...
Me, I'd check your load bearing neutral. [Could be floating - causing you
slight voltage reading.]

--
Zyp

"terry" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jul 7, 3:43 pm, "M PRESSMAN" wrote:
I just replaced a 3-way switch, and when I was testing, I noticed that

there
was 30 volts (Radio Shack analog meter) at the light socket when the
switches were off. I tried using one of the little idiot lights that

glow
with voltage, and indeed, it glowed weakly. The light and the 2 3-way
switches work perfectly though. This circuit is fed by old knob and

tube
wiring. Should I worry that something nasty is going on?

Thanks,
Michael

An analog meter even though not as sensitive as digital/electronic
one, might pick up such an induced voltage.
Such a meter with a fairly typical one milliamp full scale deflection,
on its 30 volt scale will have a resistance of 30,000 ohms.
On a 100 volt scale perhaps 100,000 ohms.
No experience with K and T wiring but those wires tend to be
seaparated; not twisted or close together as with modern wiring. Would
that not make induction from an adajcent live wire more likely?
You could put a bulb in series with the feed wire from the fuse,
leaving the bulb out of the fixture, just to make sure there is no
current leaking through?