Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] andy@invalid.com is offline

Default house is sinking

On Sat, 07 Jul 2007 11:37:53 -0400, dk wrote:

My 82 year mother lives in a house where the floor is sinking in one
corner of the house. The basement floor is cracked and sinking along
the outer walls. The house walls and ceiling are plastered and I'm
afraid that the ceiling is going to come down.

I know there are many companies that claim they can correct the problem
and I'm a little leery.Any ideas as to the best way to correct the
problem and the cost associated with correcting the problem.

Thanks
David Kight

Most of the time I just read this newsgroup, and many times I get a
little irritated when people suggest hiring a professional for some
simple task, like replacing a light switch. I think this newsgroup is
mostly intended for the DIY person, and no one needs to post on here
to hire someone because most people know that hiring someone else is
already an option. However, in your case, I will have to agree with
everyone else. You really need to get a professional for this
problem. You might have a sinkhole or cave under the house that is
collapsing, or whoever built the foundation did something wrong.
Houses with proper foundations dont normally sink, at least not
anything noticable. There are so many possibilities involved, such as
poor soil, bad drainage, and the location of the house. States that
have abandoned mines have had houses suddenly collapse when the earth
gave away. Even if you are qualified to do the repairs yourself, at
least find out the cause from a pro.

Then too, is the house really sinking? Did you check with a level?
Maybe the basement floor is just heaving, but there's a reason for
that too.

Just my 2 cents !