Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble Stuart Noble is offline

Default New external front door

Andy Hall wrote:
On 2007-07-07 19:40:55 +0100, "George" said:

Stained with Coloron wood dye(the proper way to stain wood) however I
dont
wish to varnish over it so will waxing the door over a few times
protect it
from the weather elments?

TIA

An oil and wax would be better because it will penetrate the wood more
effectively. I personally think that it's a sacrilege to varnish a
good quality hardwood, especially with a gloss varnish - one might as
well have installed PVC. Ergo, I've done the stain, oil, wax treatment
on my oak entrance doors. Initial treatment is three coats of oil
and wax 24hrs apart. Apply with a brush and wipe off excess after
about 10 minutes. Don't flood the wood.

The only minor issue is that it does need attention at least every six
months - in an exposed position to sun or rain, possibly every 4.
The grime should be cleaned off using a cloth dampened in warm detergent
and water and wrung out. Then rinse. Don't be tempted to use white
spirit since that is a solvent for the oil and wax preparations and will
tend to cause the grime to soak into the wood.

Then you can give the door two coats of oil and wax. The whole
exercise can be completed for a door in half an hour, tops, so it's not
a huge burden.

This product is particularly good

http://www.oakdoors.co.uk/_hard_wax_oil_uk.php

One wonders what a "natural", "hard wax oil" might consist of, since
hard waxes are all but insoluble at room temperature.