Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Alexander Jim Alexander is offline

Default Cost of getting gas from street?

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi all,

Been a long time since I posted here, but after reading this thread:

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk....dd33b2620a6918

...I remembered what a top bunch of people frequent this group.

Anyway, that aside, I have a question, the answer for which I've not
found by searching the group.

Yesterday we looked at a house in Southampton (3 bed semi) which is
electrically heated. It also has an electric hob (all flavours of
which we loath), and only a quarter of the windows were double glazed.

Double glazing costs and the cost of fitting a combi for central
heating we can figure out, but:

a) How would we find out if there is a gas pipe down the street?
b) How much would it cost to get it connected to the house with a
meter?

There is a suspiciously gas-pipe-looking pipe (capped tapered threaded
affair) descending into the cupboard under the stairs (hard to see,
but may be from the floor above). But it's unknown if this is a gas
pipe or not.

Any advice gratefully received.

no idea about the cost but find out here...

http://www.nationalgrid.com/uk/Gas/Connections/

Jim A