Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Rick Rick is offline

Default Dehumidifier

Meat Plow wrote:

On Sun, 08 Jul 2007 01:05:14 +0000, wrote:

I'll find out about getting this repaired. If I need a new one, is there a
better band that hopefully isn't made by LG?

Good luck. We bought a Sears - cough, cough, looks identical to LG units
- dehumidifier two summer seasons ago. The highest capacity (translates:
most expensive) model Sears carried. It broke within six months - fan
went dead. That got replaced under warranty. 15 months after purchase it
died again. This time the fan still works! But there is zero output. And
it now makes so much noise you can hear it two floors up from the
basement.

Oh, and one of the "press in place" casters fell off. Can they possibly
make them any cheaper?

Sears could give a rat's arse about the problem. After numerous calls to
various customer service departments they all came up with the same
solution: Pay this time to get it fixed for the second time in 15
months, or please go buy another Sears unit to replace it. Otherwise, go
stuff yourself.

Died twice in fifteen months. Ya think we're gonnna throw repair money
at it? The bench charge alone is 45 bucks, even if we decide to not get
it repaired.

I don't know what to buy because no matter what brand name plate is on
the units they all look the same as if they are coming from the same
factory. GE, LG, Sears, Samsung - they all look like clones of each
other. We wanted to upgrade our still functioning 20 year old unit to
something with higher capacity. Bad idea, I guess.

BTW, do you think the orange colored substance I'm finding at bottom of the
water bucket is from the oil that was mixed in with the freon, or do you
think that is something else? Other than that I'm not seeing any oil
anywhere.

Thanks,

Hey at least you get "orange stuff." We got nuttin at all.

LG warranty = 5 years.

Better read that again:

1 year - entire unit.
5 years - compressor only.