Posted to sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet James Sweet is offline

Default Damaged hard drive

"buddd" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,

I have a what I believe to be a physically damaged hard drive with
data on it. (My guess it is the heads). When I turn the drive on, one
hears a knocking sound for about 30 seconds and then the drive
automatically shuts off.

The data on the drive is not important enough to pay a professional to
fix it, and software recovery tools won't work.

I would like to take the opportunity to open and try repairing the
disk myself (as a learning process).

Any suggestions / recommendations?

Thanks,

buddd

You have zero chance of fixing it by opening it up, but if you don't care
about the data you may as well pop it open. They have some pretty insanely
powerful magnets in them in the head actuator, fun to play with but be
careful, they can pinch.