Posted to alt.home.repair
Dottie Dottie is offline

Default house is sinking

On Jul 7, 6:34 pm, Big_Jake wrote:
On Jul 7, 10:37 am, dk wrote:

My 82 year mother lives in a house where the floor is sinking in one
corner of the house. The basement floor is cracked and sinking along
the outer walls. The house walls and ceiling are plastered and I'm
afraid that the ceiling is going to come down.

I know there are many companies that claim they can correct the problem
and I'm a little leery.Any ideas as to the best way to correct the
problem and the cost associated with correcting the problem.

Thanks
David Kight

Extra information would be really helpful. Such as:

1) Climate or location
2) Slab, crawlspace, or full basement.
3) Age of house

Cost of this type of work will vary dramatically depending on your
area. For example, in my area, we have full basements for the most
part, which have to have footings below the frost line, which is about
4 feet down. One corner sinking is rare in my area, but is a really
bad thing, that could cost huge money to fix.

Please give us more detail.

JK

Yes, we do need more information. I moved to FL where sinkholes are a
problem. Before moving here, I had never even heard of such a thing.
If her house is in an area where there are sinkholes that is a whole
'nother problem'.