Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Any tricks to walking down a roof?

On Sat, 07 Jul 2007 22:00:34 GMT, "Wade Lippman"
wrote:

I have always been terrified of going up on my roof. Today I decided that
was silly; people spend all day on them, how dangerous could it be. It was
something I had to get over.
Walking up the roof is actually pretty easy, but walking down it is not.
Walking forward I feel like I might fall, and walking backwards is really
clumsy. I think it is just harder to keep your weight over your feet going
down than up.
How is it best done?

It is harder. Also hiking on hills it's harder to go down than up. I
think you can practice in the hills or mountains near you. Safer than
a roof. It's also cooler there in the summer time. I'm serious.

On the roof, wear rubber soled shoes, ankle high, laced firmly. Gives
much greater stability, or the feeling of it.

Also, learn to tie a knot correctly. It turns out there are two ways
to tie ones shoes, and one way is wrong. The second overhand knot
should be tied in the opposite direction as the first overhand knot,
so that the resulting knot (below the bow) is a square not and not a
granny.

If you do that, your shoes won't come loose or untied.

I still can't tell if my second knot is opposite to my first or the
same, but I've reversed the direction of my second knot and it works a
lot better.