Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Michael Black Michael Black is offline

Default Damaged hard drive

"Jim" ) writes:
"buddd" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,

I have a what I believe to be a physically damaged hard drive with
data on it. (My guess it is the heads). When I turn the drive on, one
hears a knocking sound for about 30 seconds and then the drive
automatically shuts off.

The data on the drive is not important enough to pay a professional to
fix it, and software recovery tools won't work.

I would like to take the opportunity to open and try repairing the
disk myself (as a learning process).

Any suggestions / recommendations?

Thanks,

buddd

Set up a new Primary HD and then hook your old HD up as a Secondary, you
might be able to get some of the data off it. After that I'd tear it open.

I have one that did the same thing, I was going to take mine a part too, but
I did'nt have the right size bit (tools).

That's where you use the drill press. Once something is garbage, it doesn't
matter if you damage it, hence drilling out the screws is perfectly viable
at that point, to get the magnets out.

You don't actually need a drill press. A hand drill will work, though not
one of those cordless screwdrivers that get called "drills".

Michael