Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Sam Goldwasser Sam Goldwasser is offline

Default Damaged hard drive

"Charles" writes:

"buddd" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,

I have a what I believe to be a physically damaged hard drive with
data on it. (My guess it is the heads). When I turn the drive on, one
hears a knocking sound for about 30 seconds and then the drive
automatically shuts off.

The data on the drive is not important enough to pay a professional to
fix it, and software recovery tools won't work.

I would like to take the opportunity to open and try repairing the
disk myself (as a learning process).

Any suggestions / recommendations?

Yes, just forget about this project and move on to your next project.

Agreed. But if you can find an identical known good controller PDB, swapping
that might have at least a chance. Going inside is basically killing it.
It's not a physical problem like a screw fell out!