Posted to sci.electronics.repair
John John is offline

Default Dehumidifier

On Sat, 07 Jul 2007 21:54:50 GMT, "
wrote:

I have a Friedrich 40 Pt. dehumidifier. It is just over 2 years old. I
believe it is made in China by LG. I only use it 6 months out of the year.
Lately it hasn't been removing much moisture from the air, even though the
compressor still runs. It used to remove half a bucket's worth a day, and
now I'm lucky if I see 1.5 inches of water on bottom of bucket per day.
This is with the unit on a timer to run continuously 1.25 hours and then off
for 45 minutes (and repeated over and over again throughout the day).

This indicates a lack of cooling.

Reason I've been using a timer, is because this unit's dehumidistat kept
cycling it on and off for every two minutes due to the way they design it.

I removed the front cover and coils look clean. Filter is clean. Seems
that the bottom part of coil has tendency to freeze up if running
continuously for say an hour. This didn't seem to happen in the past.

Freezing up usually indicates a lack of refrigerant.

Wondering if this unit has been leaking freon. I'm noticing that the bottom
of the inside of the bucket is turning an orange color. Is the oil that
gets mixed in with freon orange in color or is the orange substance
something else?

This unit has a 5 year warranty on just the "sealed refrigerant system" I'm
considering bringing it in for repair before the unit becomes totally
useless. The warranty covers parts and labor but not "diagnostics". If the
diagnostics are less than $75 I suppose this is worth fixing. I only paid
around $150 including tax.

J.

Take it in and see whether it's worth the cost for a repair that may
only last 2 years (probably no better than the original).

John