Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
[email protected] oldrad@sympatico.ca is offline

Default Duty life of chainsaws

On Jul 3, 9:34 am, "TonyM" tonym.le"at"comcast.net wrote:
I was cutting up a downed Norway Maple this weekend and happened to actually
read the label on my Husky chainsaw and one statement caught my eye. It has
something called "Duty Cycle" listed. For this saw it is 50 hours. I went
and looked at the POS Poulan I am trying to get rid of and it's duty cycle
is 20 hours.

I wonder if what you saw was "duty cycle" or something about "rated
life". Usually duty cycle is expressed as a percentage and is the
amount of time that a device can spend at full power vs the amount of
"rest time".For instance, the duty cycle of a heat gun may be 50%. It
needs to rest and cool for the same amount of time that it was heated.
Usually a duty cycle figure is accompanied by a suggested maximum use
time before letting the tool rest.

"Life rating" on small gasoline motors used in Lawn and Garden
equipment usually refers to the number of hours that the engine will
run under normal use conditions before it no longer meets the
emissions standards that it was certified for. I have yet to see the
term "duty cycle" on this type of equipment, but I confess that I
stopped looking a long time ago. The term I've seen is "Life" or "Life
Rating" or "Life Cycle".

As far as I know this (above) is correct, but I open to being
educated ....

cheers