Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default tooth and nail puzzle

In article .com, RicodJour wrote:

I'll argue my point with a very simple test that you can do for
yourself. Drill a hole the exact size of a nail in a piece of wood,
drilling along the grain. Soak the wood overnight. You don't have to
boil it. Try to insert the nail the next morning. The wood will have
expanded, and the hole will have gotten smaller, not larger.

Nonsense.

The hole
may not be perfectly round, but the net area of the hole will be
smaller. I've done this. Try it, you'll see.

Pardon me for being very skeptical of your claim to have actually done that.
I'll perform my own test and report the results.

--
Regards,