Posted to sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet James Sweet is offline

Default Philips 42" plasma almost comes on by itself ? (Otherwise works fine)

"Rodo" wrote in message
Hi all,

I bought this Philips plasma TV from Costco (Model# 42PF9431D/37). It is
on the wall in my bedroom. I noticed that it would click as if I turned it
on and after 10 seconds click again like if I turned it off when the TV is
off. This happens like once or twice a day. Because it has done it at
night when the room is completely dark, I can see the screen lights up a
bit. It never comes completely on when it is doing this. Otherwise the TV
works fine, no video or audio problems at all. After a few times of these
I decided to take it back to Costco and got another (same model no.).
Guess what happened? ... I got the same problem again :-(. So I decided to
do some things to rule out the power outlet:

I plugged it into an extension and into another outlet (away from my
bedroom). No change.
I plugged it into a UPS. No change
I cover the IR sensor in front of the TV. No change.

I finally called Philips and they referred me to a repair center. I just
got it back after they had it for two month. The receipt shows they
changed something called PSU and SSB. Here is the depressing part ... NO
CHANGE!.

I called my credit card company and I can do something with them to return
it but I really like the TV. Other than this click on, 10 secs later click
off, it really is a nice set. Not to mention that the installation is
already done on the wall. Anyway ...Can anyone suggest what else I can
check in my place that may be causing this TV to do this ?

Thanks a bunch everyone... comments/suggestions welcome.

Try the easy thing first, put some black electrical tape over the IR sensor
on the set and see if it still happens.

If all else fails, just take it back to Costco, they have an outstanding
return policy.