jim rozen

Default Help finding odd screws

In article , Eric Pearson says...

I can't re-tap the holes in the pulls as 8-32 because
they are too shallow and I'm sure they won't hold.

I take it the existing 8-24 threads are pretty shallow, and
the holes are blind into the stock.

One option would be to obtain some partially threaded
8-32 screws, cut them off to the length you need, and
run an 8-24 die over them.

Another option would be to drill the holes in the pulls
all the way through, and simply through tap them for
10-32. The end of the fastener could be set up to
be just flush with the surface of the pull so it would
not be *too* obvious.

Finally you could purchase a 10-32 bottoming tap,
drill the existing threads up to the tap drill size
(maybe a little smaller if the section is thin)
and then bottom tap them for 10-32.

If you tap 8-32 into an 8-24 existing hole, it will
be a fairly weak job when you are done because of
the threads crossing the threads inside the hole.
I would go one size up as stated.

Jim

please reply to: