Posted to sci.electronics.repair
msg msg is offline

Default Small Drill Presses For Electronics Repair

Smitty Two wrote:

On Jul 4, 9:15 pm, Too_Many_Tools wrote:

I am considering getting a small drill press for electronics
repair...what suggestions does the group have?

snip

This thread might hold some interest if you'd quit playing 20 questions.
Why not paint a complete picture for us?

snip
How might a drill press assist... snip

Actually I think that this is a very good question and no one has
really answered with any make and model information for quality
minidrill press tools. If the definition of "repair" includes
"rework", "modify and engineer", "ECO", "FCO", etc. this tool
is _absolutely_ _essential_ in any well-equipped shop. I use
a Sherline MiniMill, but it is not ideal as a drill press since
its Z-axis deflection requires many turns of a handwheel. I also
use the Stahler PCB milling attachments for conventional drill
presses to clear areas on PCB copper for pads and vias and these
tools make very good small drill bit holders as well. The
ubiquitous high-speed hand tool like Dremel is also frequently
used to drill although I don't use the press attachment.

There are a class of precision drill presses that ought to be
mentioned by any one owning one...

Regards,

Michael