Posted to alt.home.repair
BobK207 BobK207 is offline

Default Weeeater piston ring.

On Jul 6, 11:28 pm, PaPaPeng wrote:
Okay. I broke it where there is a half round notch to fit the pin in
the piston ring groove. The ring fits quite well as broken of course
but without the springiness of a complete ring. Is it Okay if I run
the engine with a broken piston ring? I am having a problem sourcing
the piston ring Weedeater model TE400 CXL.

I originally bought a returned new Weedeater at $40 off. The clutch
was stuck and that's easy to fix. Thereafter it ran with difficulty,
cutting out unless the mixture was rich and it ran at full throttle.
Cleaned it but after that it won't even start unless there was excess
two stroke oil and it leaked the gas/oil bad. Now I see why the last
owner had a stuck clutch. There isn't much to a two stroke engine so
I took it fully apart this time. I found the problem. Somewhere
during assembly the cylinder head wasn't screwed down tight to the
crankcase. The gasket seal had loosened and not enough fuel mix was
fed to the combustion chamber. During reassembly, it was late at
night and the garage light was poor, I tightened a hose ring to wrap
the piston ring flush so that I could slip it back into the cyliner
head. I didn't notice that the ring had slipped so that it rested on
the groove's locating pin. Snapped it.

I would suggest calling Poulan Weedeater & telling them your story
about buying areturn that was incorrectly assembled at the factory.

I'll bet they send you a piston ring.

checkout this page

http://www.ordertree.com/ModelInfo.asp

select Poulan Weedeater & work your way down through the model
number / part number selections

I got down to TE400 CXL but there were 4 different types

I selected type 1 & got a preice of $2.19 for a piston ring

cheers
Bob