Posted to alt.home.repair
DanG DanG is offline

Default Weeeater piston ring.

If you find a source, I'd sure like to know. I have been through
this with Target and Stihl. They will only sell a full kit with
a new piston, ring, and cylinder. Both times I would have been
happy to gamble on a ring(s) only to get an old beast running. Of
course the cost of the kit exceeds the value of the used tool. I
don't even know that it would be cost beneficial on a fairly new
tool.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"PaPaPeng" wrote in message

Okay. I broke it where there is a half round notch to fit the
pin in
the piston ring groove. The ring fits quite well as broken of
course
but without the springiness of a complete ring. Is it Okay if I
run
the engine with a broken piston ring? I am having a problem
sourcing
the piston ring Weedeater model TE400 CXL.

I originally bought a returned new Weedeater at $40 off. The
clutch
was stuck and that's easy to fix. Thereafter it ran with
difficulty,
cutting out unless the mixture was rich and it ran at full
throttle.
Cleaned it but after that it won't even start unless there was
excess
two stroke oil and it leaked the gas/oil bad. Now I see why the
last
owner had a stuck clutch. There isn't much to a two stroke
engine so
I took it fully apart this time. I found the problem.
Somewhere
during assembly the cylinder head wasn't screwed down tight to
the
crankcase. The gasket seal had loosened and not enough fuel mix
was
fed to the combustion chamber. During reassembly, it was late
at
night and the garage light was poor, I tightened a hose ring to
wrap
the piston ring flush so that I could slip it back into the
cyliner
head. I didn't notice that the ring had slipped so that it
rested on
the groove's locating pin. Snapped it.