Posted to sci.electronics.repair
n cook n cook is offline

Default 5 octave keyboard repair - tame musician required

clifto wrote in message
N Cook wrote:
Over the years I've come across a couple of people who've professed to

have
"perfect pitch" and I've asked them what it was like listening to films

like
Amadeus or Farinelli on TV and they've both not reported any problems
despite AFAIAA 24 frame per sec film is shown at 25 frame per sec on UK

TV
telecine so a 4 per cent frequency shift, whatever that is in semitones.

A lot of people believe perfect pitch is something other than what it
really is. I have very weak perfect pitch, in that during periods when I'm
doing a lot with musical instruments I can remember a note like A, and
mentally walk up or down the scale from there to the note whose pitch
I'm trying to name.

I am easily aggravated by a single instrument that's out of tune, even
slightly, in an entire orchestra. Of course, accurate instrument tuning
is the most obvious thing differentiating professional orchestras from
grade-school bands.

--
Postulate a group whose intent is to destroy the United States from within
via anarchy and bankruptcy. The actions of the United States Congress are

group.

Surely detecting one instrument out of tune in amongst others is a different
matter. Are you not hearing a beat frequency of 20 Hz or so instead of the 1
or 2 Hz of difference to the summation of all the instruments that are "in
tune".
I have cloth ears and only hear such beats in very special situations like a
sustained note in Lakmé :Flower Duet where the 2 female voices give an
unmistakeable low hertz beating.

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England