Posted to alt.home.repair
Rick Blaine Rick Blaine is offline

Default Water Heater - More Efficient? 40k BTU vs. 55k BTU

" wrote:

Frankly I dont know why anyone buys a small and low BTU tank.

For size, you have to balance your hot water requirements against energy
efficiency. Sure, a larger tank is great for those times when you need a lot of
hot water all at once, but you are going to be paying for that both in the
initial cost as well as the increased heat loss from the larger tank.

For BTUs, I agree a larger burner is better. The problem is that they don't sell
water heaters by component and going with a larger unit gets you into the cost
issues listed above.

--
"Tell me what I should do, Annie."
"Stay. Here. Forever." - Life On Mars