Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default caulking siding/foundation interface

On Jul 6, 1:14 pm, ValveJob wrote:

I doubt that you will shorten the life of your siding very much by
'trapping' moisture. The siding likely breathes an adequate amount to
prevent problems and there really shouldn't be enough moisture behind
the siding to actually need draining. Caulking will keep out the
grass and beetles and even keep out the hot or cold air that you are
paying to condition, so I see a net benefit in your case.

You don't do this for a living, do you? The OP didn't mention what
type of siding he has, and you're saying there won't be a problem. Do
yourself a favor and read any vinyl siding manufacturer's installation
info. They specifically say that the siding should not be considered
waterproof, and that any water getting behind the siding must be
allowed to drain. Caulking the bottom of wood siding or fiber cement
siding is pretty much guaranteed to trap moisture and, at the very
least, cause paint failure at the most exposed part of any siding -
the bottom few courses - which is precisely where it needs the most
protection.

Your advice is akin to covering your teeth with chewing gum to prevent
cavities. I realize you're trying to help, but you're not.