Posted to rec.woodworking
John John is offline

Default How hot is too hot? How cold is too cold?

On Thu, 05 Jul 2007 18:34:33 GMT, NoOne N Particular
wrote:

I was in my garop (garage shop) yesterday fiddling around. Late last year I
bought a clock for the garop that has time, temperature, and humidity dials on
it. It was going to be a hot day outside so I thought it would be interesting
to see just what happened in the heat.

The hottest documented temperature I've worked in was a "heat index"
of 107 while installing a ceiling fan on a screened porch last year.
It was a "work 20 minutes - cool off 20 minutes" process. The day was
hot enough that the grandkids - both pre-school and usually nose-deep
in any type of "work" - didn't want to stay outside and watch.

I don't (yet) have a sawdust-confining area in the basement, so I move
the table saw out onto the (mostly shaded) back driveway when using
it. This limits me to your rules:
not so cold that my hands hurt (so usually above 55F)
not so hot that I drip sweat on the wood (depends on temperature plus
humidity)

At age 64, I've learned to invoke the "time to wimp-out" rules when
necessary ;-)

I still cut, edge, and trim 1/4 acre of yard, just not in one
continuous effort - I stop for water and shade a couple of times...

And when my wife wanted her grandmother's treadle sewing machine moved
to the second floor, I waited until both 30-something sons-in-law were
here and had them carry it up the stairs. There is some return on
paying for two weddings ;-)

John