Posted to rec.woodworking
BillinDetroit BillinDetroit is offline

Default Armor on. Cue theme from Man of LaMancha.

BillinDetroit wrote:
I am making some lawn furniture to be painted with enamel colors and
have been advised to use spar varnish as a clear coat over the enamels.

I am applying with a really cheapo HVLP gun under less than ideal
conditions.

Is there another product that has UV protection, is suited for exterior
exposure but dries clear?

Is there some magical vial of UV inhibitor I could just add directly to
the enamel before spraying?

I just took a sleep tablet (prescription!) and I'm getting woozy so I
won't be able to respond tonight, I think.

Bill

Thanks guys.

I ran into that suggestion (spar varnish over enamel) in the plans for
"Jakes Chair" by Tom Gauldin.

http://www.twistedknotwoodshop.com/jakes-chair.htm

(Pretty good instructions, overall. Even without all the back slats on
yet, the thing is solid like a tank. My next batch will have two small
design tweaks and a couple engineering changes which I will make
available, along with fresher photos, online, in the spirit of the
original plans, under one of the GPL licenses. NB; edits and new
material can be placed under the new license because they are original
to me; the original material remains under its original license until
Mr. Gaudlin should chose to revise it.)

Adding a coat of dingy yellow over the bright primary colors I have in
mind just didn't sound right.

Thanks for confirming my earlier hunch.

I am putting the back slats on the first one in a few minutes and then
oil-based primer this afternoon. I had planned to use a water-based
enamel for top coat, but if an oil base is going to get me more wear /
colorfastness, then that's where I'm headed.

Oh, BTW, if you start with paint as a finish, the back slats make for a
inviting canvass for customization. Starting from this basic plan, I
think I can see some art fair items here.

Bill

--
I'm not not at the above address.
http://nmwoodworks.com

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000754-4, 07/06/2007
Tested on: 7/6/2007 12:59:09 PM