Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Interior renovations.

On 6 Jul, 10:26, Pelletier wrote:
I have a 14' X 18' dining room that i am going to split into two
rooms. I have a good idea of how i am going to tie the interior wall
going down the middle of the room to either side of the walls, my
question is what would be a good way to
fasten the bottom sill to the floor. The flooring is 12" X 12" ceramic
with standard underlayment or plywood underneath that. I am not sure
of how to get thru the tile without cracking or breaking it. Thanks
for listening

Any borg or tile shop will carry drill bits made for drilling through
ceramic tile, although for the limited use you need, I try a borg
first - much cheaper. Put an X of masking tape where you want to drill
to help prevent the bit from walking before you break through the
glaze.

My suggestion is to buy a bit and a few pieces of orphan tiles of
similiar material and thickness. Practice drilling through the orphans
before you put bit to finished floor. I did this when I installed a
pedestal sink over tile in my bathroom. Once I had a feel for drilling
the scrap tile, I was much more confident when I attacked the real
floor. I drilled slightly oversized holes in the tile so I didn't have
to be concerned with exact position of the base. The tile isn't going
to hold the sill in the place, the fastener through the joists are, so
the hole in the tile can be bigger than it needs to be to allow for
easier alignment.

Of course, if you are lucky enough to be able to position the wall
over a grout line, then it should be much easier.