Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
JD JD is offline

Default Considering First Segmented Turning

I'm considering trying my hand at my first segmented turning but would
like to pick your brains before starting. I've a few questions....

Where do you come up with the wood? I like the free stuff myself.

Anyone have any favorite sources? I've a few cabinet shops local who
build solid wood cabinets, figured I could pick through their scrap
bins for pieces.

Does the wood need to be kiln dried?

Can I use any combination of woods or is there a method to the
madness? Does various hardnesses matter?

Anyone have any favorite combinations?

What type glue do you recommend? I've seen the strength of regular
carpenters glue, is that good enough?

Any opinions or information would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

JD