Posted to rec.woodworking
mike hide mike hide is offline

Default Walnut - Black walnut?

True, butternut [white walnut] is juglans ceneria ,black walnut juglans
nigra. butternut is useful for repairing european walnut as it is lighter
than black walnut. mjh

"spaco" wrote in message
.. .
Up here in Wisconsin we have Butternut, which some people call "White
Walnut". It is softer (and weaker, I hear) than Black Walnut. Could
that be what you are talking about? The nuts of the Butternut are
tastier, in my opinion, than black walnuts are.

Pete Stanaitis

Jimmy wrote:
I've bought walnut, but never ran into black walnut. I can get a deal on
some but wanted to know if it is much darker, harder to work with, etc.
Also what would be the best way to finish walnut without making it
darker? I know it will darken some on its own but I don't want to help it
along. Gonna try some ideas on scrap today, just wanted some input.

Thanks