Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default How hot is too hot? How cold is too cold?

Peter Huebner wrote:
In article . com,
says...
Also, keep drinking. dehydration crepts up on you. I remember
last year I was helping a friend with his massive shed , I kept
drinking some water and and after about 2 hrs I was l feeling
lousy (headache, "loopy").

Interesting. Me, I'm a cold climate person. Anything over 27C -
that's just a shade over 80F (nopunintended) - knocks me flat with
the symptoms you describe: bad headaches, woozyness, visual
disturbances

I don't mean to be a worry-wart, but heat related visual disturbances
can be symptomatic of Multiple Sclerosis--you might want to talk to your
physician about this next time you see him--MS is something you don't
want to screw around with.

Funny thing is though, I always drink like a fish all
day, water, coffee,

Careful with the coffee, or cola, or anything with caffeine. Caffeine
is a diuretic--drinking cola or coffee can make you _more_ dehydrated.
While a Coke can taste awful good on a hot day, water or an
electrolyte-balanced sport drink is a safer bet.

Next summer try Gatorade and no coffee and see if that improves the
situation. Note that Gatorade is to some extent self-controlling--if
it tastes like crap you're probably adequately hydrated--don't know if
that's intentional but it's been my observation.

Wear a hat outdoors when working in direct sunlight.

more water ... so I don't really think it's
dehydration that gets me. Will try to remember and look into it next
summer though (it's the middle of winter here a.t.m.).

cheers, -P.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)