Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default Armor on. Cue theme from Man of LaMancha.

BillinDetroit wrote:
I am making some lawn furniture to be painted with enamel colors and
have been advised to use spar varnish as a clear coat over the
enamels.

I am applying with a really cheapo HVLP gun under less than ideal
conditions.

Is there another product that has UV protection, is suited for
exterior exposure but dries clear?

Is there some magical vial of UV inhibitor I could just add directly
to the enamel before spraying?

I just took a sleep tablet (prescription!) and I'm getting woozy so I
won't be able to respond tonight, I think.

Just use a decent brand of exterior gloss enamel. Both the "exterior"
part and the "gloss" part are important in this application. "Exterior"
means that it has the UV inhibitors, "gloss" so it won't be intended to
chalk (flats are usually intended to chalk a bit and thus be
self-cleaning to some extent--good on a house, not good on something you
sit on).

If you want overkill then go to an automotive paint store and get an
automotive paint, and to overkill _that_ you could then use an
automotive clearcoat. You may need to consult the manufacturer for the
proper primer for wood--I suspect that the fiberglass primer would do
fine but it's better to check.

If you want super-overkill then go for a 2K polyurethane--Imron or
Awlgrip or the like, but note that spraying that stuff you really should
have an air-supplied respirator--you _may_ get away with it if you're
only going to do it a few times, but eventually it will catch up with
you (google "respiratory sensitizer" for the reasons).

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)