Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default Woodcraft Router Bits - Any good?

In article . com, DerbyDad03 wrote:
These bits seem to cheap to be any good. Am I right? And if so, why am
I right?

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=5044

The regular line of Woodcraft bits is pretty good. Not in the same category as
Whiteside, but certainly more than merely adequate. I have several, two of
which have seen pretty heavy use, and haven't had the first sign of a problem
with any of them.

From time to time, though, Woodcraft runs $5 specials on router bits. The
implications of their advertising notwithstanding, these are *not* the same
bits as their regular line. The regular line is made in Taiwan (or was, the
last time I checked), but the five-buck bits are made in China and show all
the earmarks of typical Chinese manufacturing: visible nicks in the cutting
edges, coarser grinding, bearings that don't always spin smoothly.

--
Regards,