Posted to rec.woodworking
Phisherman Phisherman is offline

Default Porter Cable 343K vs air radom orbit sander

On Thu, 5 Jul 2007 08:04:42 -0700, "** Frank **"
wrote:

http://www.amazon.com/Porter-343K-5-...3646180&sr=1-7

I started using my new PC 343K and it doesn't seem to be aggressive. When
the description says it does 12,000 orbits/minute I guess it does those tiny
12,000 random vibrations per minute and not really turning the pad at 12,000
rpm.

On the other hand, my air driven random orbit sander which I had for couple
of decades, is extremely aggressive in both random and rotation action. The
air driven one is more like a real disk sander with orbital action while the
PC is more like a pad vibrator with some disk rotation. So am I correct or
either I'm not using the PC correctly or its defective?

I'd expect an air-driven tool to be much more aggressive and lighter
than a unit with an electrical motor. A ROS is closer to a finishing
sander. If you want an aggressive electric sander, consider a belt
sander.