Posted to uk.d-i-y
RobertL RobertL is offline

Default Stud Wall - he next Phase - Insulation!

On Jul 5, 1:45 pm, Thomarse wrote:
Hi,

Having taken the advice from replies to my previuos posts, I am now
building my new stud wall from 4x2" cls timber... And seeing as I am
now going to be doing a "proper job"... I'd like to know the best way
and the most costeffective way to insulate the wall, between the
plasterboard sheets. Budget is an issue so I want to achieve good
sound insulation for the minimum cost really.

Has anyone got any good suggestions of where to buy and what to avoid
etc... I've had a quick look on Wickes as it was teh first site I
found and saw the link below - I guess this is pretty standard, any
pros and cons?

it's better to build it with staggered timbers so that there is no
direct mechanical coupling between the board on each side.it means
twice as much wood of course, and alsightly thicker wall. Fill the
space with mineral wool (small effect). use double thickness of
plasterboard both sides. caulk carefully at all the joins. It
shoul give about 50-55dB attenuation at mid frequencies.

see ISBN 0-07-026942-4

Robert