Posted to alt.home.repair
jtees4 jtees4 is offline

Default Microwave oven catches on fire. Repairable?

Yeah...small problem.

On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 10:42:20 -0700, wrote:

I have a small problem with my Samsung microwave where it occasionally
catches on fire. It last occurred when I was heating 2T of margarine
in a cup. I heard a bang, then saw the fire coming from behind a cover
which is presumably where the magnetron tube is. But I have used the
oven since, and it is still working fine. This same sudden fire
problem occurred many months before, where again, the oven worked fine
afterward. I have melted margarine like this many times since and used
the oven many times during those months, so I don't know why all of a
sudden it decides to go pyro on me.

That's the basis of my query: Can anyone tell me what might be causing
this, what to check and how to fix it so it doesn't happen again? I do
not want to risk fire when I am not around to monitor what's going on
with the oven, but at the same time, I do not want to replace it. I
have looked at getting another oven, but there's nothing that I like
as much as my Samsung. It has the size, the looks and the advanced
controls (ie. one touch, defrosting, etc) that I like.

This is a pic of what the damage looks like on the interior:

http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.p...mtxmvt&thumb=4

And one of the exterior:

http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.p...noyvgd&thumb=4