Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Sam Goldwasser Sam Goldwasser is offline

Default Small Drill Presses For Electronics Repair

Puckdropper writes:

Too_Many_Tools wrote in
oups.com:

I am considering getting a small drill press for electronics
repair...what suggestions does the group have?

Thanks

TMT

Get a good woodworking or metalworking one. Make sure it can take your
half inch bits (as a fellow reader of the wRECk, you'll understand) and
don't worry about the small ones. If your chuck won't hold them, get an
adapter. (My Ryobi held a #80 bit with no trouble.)

I've been using the smallest "real" Crafstman drill press for about 25 years.
(Probably called a 6 inch or 8 inch model.)

They are usually less than $100 on sale (and that price doesn't seem to have
changed in 25 years!). It will hold very small bits with no detectible
runout, but is large enough to handle medium size jobs. I have a 15" drill
press as well but that gets a lot less use.