Posted to sci.electronics.repair
ian field ian field is offline

Default Microwave oven catches fire. Repairable?

"Charles" wrote in message
. ..

"ian field" wrote in message

On a number of occasions I've simply removed the mica or plastic "window"
and discarded it, but this makes it possible for food splatter to enter
the waveguide - in extreme cases this can damage the transformer or
rectifier!

I was going to mention this but decided not to. You are correct.

Having pointed out the potential risk in removing the window, the only time
I've actually seen such damage happen was with my first microwave that I got
for free because the window was arcing. As I'd heard how eggs explode in the
microwave, I wanted to see for myself.

Such was my luck that a large chunk of egg ended up lodged in the entrance
to the waveguide which caused an overload, this eventually resulted in
overheating and shorted turns in the transformer secondary.