Posted to uk.d-i-y
bp bp is offline

Default Blocking off inside a Chimney - ideas

Tom,

It looks like I have not explained my self propery. I have done the
same thing as you. The original fireplaces were bricked up. I opened
them. I didn't want a fire and just want it open as a feature. But
the inside of the fire place is open (all the way to the pot at the
top). I have had it swept but I want to block it off inside just as
you have done. Your suggestion of battons and plywood seems the best
way forward.

A few questions then

Should I treat the ply and any way (i.e as for extrnal use). Guess
the same appplie to the battens. DId you go round teh edge with some
sealer to fill in the small holes - otherwise I'd guess you would
still get small bits of dirt etc coming down

How did you fix the battens to the inside of the wall. I had a quick
look up and there not much room to drill holes - did you glue.

Can you explain the mitred beading round the arch as I have no idea
what this is. I have seen beading that is used by plasterers, but
could not see how it could be used to create the arch - it does not
seem to be bendable. The plasterer has plastered the arch but not
that well as he assumned I would tidy up the arch. I could wire brush
the steel and paint that - thats a great tip thanks. That leaves the
exposed arch edge.

Thanks for the help

Bhupesh

Thomarse wrote:

Best thing to do would be to keep the fireplace! - helps keep air
circulation the your house and prevent damp, is a nice feature AND
will add value to your home.. I really cant stand fireplaces being
blocked up, it seems a waste and makes teh house loose charachter.

That said, I've just done the opposite to you and Ive knocked out
fireplaces in my old victorian terrace and restored them... But in the
main bedroom, we didnt really want the fireplace but wanted the
"feature". So I knocked it out and had a similar problem to you. I put
a few strips of batten around the inside, quite high up, higher than
the highest part of the arch and then attached plywood to that, I also
added some downlights to this to create a nice feature effect, it
looks nice on teh old brickwork, which I've painted up.

The ply isnt curved, just plain a flat, but is high enough that you
dont see it. As for the rusty arched lintel, I am going to wire brush
that down, treat it and then paint it with an appropriate paint -
making that part of the feature. Obviously when I knocked out the
bricked up fireplace I was left with rough plaster edges, so I put
beading up the sides, and made mitred beading around teh arch at teh
top and plastered up to that.

I suppose you coudl do a similar thing with hardboard and curve it,
but I didnt see the point in teh extra effort when you dont se up
there if you put it high enough anyway

Tom