Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] tom.harrigan@gmail.com is offline

Default Use of softwood flooring

On 5 Jul, 00:00, wrote:
Investigating options to redo the flooring in some of the house, I
came across what seem to be traditional style tongue and groove
floorboards - but made of spruce which I believe is a rather soft wood
for a flooring application.

Seehttp://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/124419

Now on the package for these boards it specifically says not to use
this as a finished floor surface, but more for replacing existing
floorboards.

My question is - is there not a reasonable way to finish this sort of
wood so that it could be used as the finished flooring? It could
certainly look very nice and I don't mind trading effort to save some
money if that's what it would take. But is this a false economy
somehow?

Any ideas if this is a realistic prospect?

Thanks,
David

I would definitely not use those or similar boards for a finished
floor. They are extremely soft and easy to dent. They are nothing like
floorboards of old!