Posted to alt.home.repair
danbo danbo is offline

Default electrical subpanel questions

I'm having trouble reconciling various information I keep reading
regarding grounding on a sub-panel. I have a detached garage that I'm
installing a subpanel in. The inspector said to drive 2 ground rods,
which I've done, but now I have a couple questions.

In regards to the bonding strap in the subpanel, I've read the
following: 1) don't use it in the subpanel, 2) always use it and 3)
only use it if it's used in the main panel. So which is it? I've
separated neutral and ground in the subpanel, so I see no reason why I
would need it.

And as far as bringing the #6 bare copper wire from the ground rods,
how do I physically bring them into the box. I can't imagine I have
to use a clamp through a knock-out. Can I just drill a hole in the
side of the box to bring the wire into the grounding bar? If not, how
am I supposed to do it - I can't find any specific information on that
aspect of the grounding wire.

thanks,

danbo