Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Gerard Gerard is offline

Default Siver Birch

On 4 jul, 12:11, "Tom Dougall" wrote:
Another question about suitable wood for turning.

I can get a hold of a quantity of Silver Birch newly cut. I have been told
that it gets softer as it dries and is unsuitable for turning. Any comments
please.

Tom.

Two of my turnings of the birch you're probably talking about:
http://www.woodarts4u.com/products/29L.jpg
http://www.woodarts4u.com/products/27L.jpg

I find no wood unsuitable for turning. Someone told me that the softer
kinds of pine are unsuitable for turning, for me it becomes a
challenge which can lead to:
http://www.woodarts4u.com/products/21L.jpg

One example of very tortured beech, more than half of it is very
spalted, parts of the spalted part had become spongy, but CA came in
helpful:
http://www.woodarts4u.com/products/31L.jpg

Just keep the tools sharp.

Gerard