Posted to alt.home.repair
DT DT is offline

Default Gutters: Foam Inserts

In article YSPii.16309$MR5.5267@trndny02, says...

I just spent a day cleaning gutters and placing screen gutter covers. I
was thinking maybe the new "foam" or plastric inserts would be better? Any
experiences out there that you wish t share ... good / bad, indifferent?

I put two different types on my house last year. One is the 4' long snap-in
plastic ones from Home Depot. They are kinda like the custom gutter helmets
with a 'nose' and a slot under the nose for the water to run into. The other is
a preformed 'horsehair' mat with a fiberglass screen over the top.

The plastic ones have popped loose in areas, mainly because they expanded so
darn much in the summer sun and I didn't allow space between the strips for it.
Other than that I like them, I'll have to see if I can trim a few back to allow
for expansion.

The horsehair mat type has been trouble free. They are over double the cost of
the Home Depot ones, however. They are also easier to install as you do not
have to lift your shingles to slide anything underneath.

--
Dennis