Posted to sci.electronics.repair
default default is offline

Default Microwave oven catches fire. Repairable?

On Wed, 04 Jul 2007 20:37:48 +0100, "Ron(UK)"
wrote:

default wrote:

Has anyone ever replaced a window? Mine doesn't look like mica but
does look like some sort of hard mineral. It is only fastened over
the opening with a couple of push in plastic pins and looks like it is
intended to be easily replaced from the oven chamber without taking
the whole thing apart.

The window - or waveguide cover as it`s called - is available by the
sheet. It`s either laminated mica or fibreglass[1]. You simply cut it to
shape using the old one as a template. pierce the holes and replace the
plastic rivets. Clean any grease and carbonised crap out of the
waveguide while you're in there.

[1] Some ovens have a purpose made moulded plastic cover which may or
may not be available.

Ron(UK)

Thanks for that. It makes a lot more sense than either discarding the
whole oven or using it without any window (no window could become a
fire hazard and really screw up the oven).

The stuff I have doesn't look/feel like mica or fiberglass. The
previously burned parts (since "cleaned") appear somewhat translucent
but don't heat in use.

Sorta like mica - but without the crystal structure.

Amateur radio enthusiasts have been putting plastics (dielectrics)
into microwave ovens for years to see if they absorb microwave energy
- a window cover can't be that big a deal - just my trailer trash
understanding of the universe.