Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
Jim Jim is offline

Default Replacing shallow basement/block foundation with deeper poured one? (OT for rec.ww)

"Max" wrote in message
oups.com...
We have an old basement that is about 6'6"" at it's highest point,
with a block foundation. The floor is poured concrete, not flat,
with the usual(?) small stress cracks.

I was wondering about the feasibility of jacking up the house,
removing the old foundation, digging a little deeper, and putting
a new poured foundation with lots of (8'+) headroom.

I am specifically -not- interested in just digging out the floor.
I'd lose too much floor space that way, and I really would like to
get rid of the old block walls.

Anybody know anything about this?

I've done some googling, and all I've found seems to talk about
turning crawls into full basements. Not quite what I'm about.

I know this will be expensive, but it might be the way to go for
our situation. Having a new finished basement might be more
cost-effective than moving, if it comes to that. We bought before
the real estate price run-up of the last 5-6 years and couldn't
afford to buy in our neighborhood today!

Thanks for your time,

Max

PS: I crossposted to rec.woodworking mainly in the hopes of getting
more input, but also because this effort might result in my own
indoor
shop space instead of an unheated garage. ;-)

This Old House had a project like that. They jacked the barn up and poured
a new foundation under it.

Their budget though seems to be unlimited.

Jim