Posted to sci.electronics.repair
default default is offline

Default should a car battery charger read 12.0v?or more?

On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 22:40:10 -0700, beerismygas
wrote:

i am wondering if my car charger is no longer efficiently charging.it
has a 6v and 12v setting. a test with the multimeter on the 6v shows
7.3v. on the 12v setting it shows 12.0 volts.

now i read a car battery varies from 12.39 discharged to 12.6 fully
charged.

to add to my confusion, this charger has an analog ammeter which does
register a current flow of 3 amps into the battery when connected. can
a 12.0v charger charge a 12.6v battery? or is my 'open' reading by
multimeter an incorrect way to measure voltage pressure available?

thx

Chargers today have lots of features that may make measuring the
charger output voltage pointless. Even the simplest chargers use an
unfiltered, unregulated voltage source. When you convert from RMS
voltage to peak voltage you gain 1.4142 times the RMS voltage - the
battery only sees and charges on the peaks of the rectified sine wave.

To check mine I use a large capacitor and charge it to 9 volts then
place that across the charger terminals - then read the voltage. 14.9
volts most days.