Posted to sci.electronics.repair
default default is offline

Default Microwave oven catches fire. Repairable?

On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 10:40:05 -0700, wrote:

I have a small problem with my Samsung microwave where it occasionally
catches on fire. It last occurred when I was heating 2T of margarine
in a cup. I heard a bang, then saw the fire coming from behind a cover
which is presumably where the magnetron tube is. But I have used the
oven since, and it is still working fine. This same sudden fire
problem occurred many months before, where again, the oven worked fine
afterward. I have melted margarine like this many times since and used
the oven many times during those months, so I don't know why all of a
sudden it decides to go pyro on me.

That's the basis of my query: Can anyone tell me what might be causing
this, what to check and how to fix it so it doesn't happen again? I do
not want to risk fire when I am not around to monitor what's going on
with the oven, but at the same time, I do not want to replace it. I
have looked at getting another oven, but there's nothing that I like
as much as my Samsung. It has the size, the looks and the advanced
controls (ie. one touch, defrosting, etc) that I like.

This is a pic of what the damage looks like on the interior:

http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.p...mtxmvt&thumb=4

And one of the exterior:

http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.p...noyvgd&thumb=4

I dunno guys . . . I have a Whirlpool 1200 watt and my wife a
Panasonic 1,000 watt oven. We have both had the same experience. For
no apparent reason the window on the wave guide spits sparks smokes
gets noisy and makes lots of light. Wife panics, and I jump over
furniture to get to the oven and shut it down. Hers has only lit up
once mine twice. I cleaned mine she cleaned hers - the black spot (on
mine the size of a quarter) is still there and has been working that
way for two years now.

Now the butter in the oven thing - I've noticed the same sort of
anomaly (it didn't cause the window to light - so that may be
coincidental) but I can hear the power supply or magnetron start to
hum like it is empty - something similar occurs with hot cocoa - in
both cases the liquid foams and when that occurs the sound of the oven
changes perceptibly.

Has anyone ever replaced a window? Mine doesn't look like mica but
does look like some sort of hard mineral. It is only fastened over
the opening with a couple of push in plastic pins and looks like it is
intended to be easily replaced from the oven chamber without taking
the whole thing apart.