Posted to rec.woodworking
Lowell Holmes Lowell Holmes is offline

Default Walnut - Black walnut?

"spaco" wrote in message
.. .
Up here in Wisconsin we have Butternut, which some people call "White
Walnut". It is softer (and weaker, I hear) than Black Walnut. Could
that be what you are talking about? The nuts of the Butternut are
tastier, in my opinion, than black walnuts are.

Pete Stanaitis
SNIP

I thought that butternut is not commonly available any more because disease
had wiped out the specie. Is it making a come back?

Another tip about working with walnut. Your hands will have purple stains
from working with it. If you keep a bottle of real lemon juice, you can
clean the stain from your hands by washing with the real lemon.

It works from mesquite stains also.