Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Rheem vs AO Smith Water Heater

On Jul 4, 7:08?am, Meat Plow wrote:
On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 22:17:50 -0700, Ed B. wrote:
I just got a new water heater and furnace installed, and the contract
I signed says they would be putting in a Rheem water heater, although
no model number was specified. Now that it's been installed, I notice
they actually put in an AO Smith Promax Plus 50 gallon water heater.
I don't know anything about water heaters, so is there any difference
in quality between the Rheem and AO Smith water heaters? Also, I was
surprised to see it uses a pilot light whereas my furnace has an
ignitor so there isn't a pilot light always burning. Are pilot lights
still the norm on gas water heaters?

Thanks,
Ed

AO is a good heater and pilot lights are the norm. Now you can sleep
better at night.

the pilot lights tiny gas used does help to heat the water, so its not
tatally wasted.

had a 3 day power failure once, i was really glad ours was a pilot
light model, we had hot showers