Posted to uk.d-i-y
Grunff Grunff is offline

Default Battery adapter help please!

xena wrote:
My horse is due to foal any day now, so I bought a wireless CCTV system so I
could keep an eye on her. I specifically needed one that could run off a
battery as there is no power in the stable.

I set it all up and it worked fine for a few minutes, then it stopped, and
it looks as though the camera battery has run out. It was also supplied
with an adaptor, which says Output 8V - 500mA. Well as the rechargeable
batteries I have are 160mAh, would I be right in thinking that these
batteries will last all of about 20 minutes?? If so, I'm absolutely
seething, that's no good at all. I'm waiting for a response off the company
that sold me the kit (they know exactly what it was being used for...)

Yes, those batteries should run it for about 20 minutes or so.

Is there any way I can get the camera to run off a 12v leisure battery
instead?

Yes. First, find out what voltage range the camera can run off. Many
have quite a wide range, of 5V-12V. If this is the case, then you can
just power it straight off your 12V leisure battery.

If it has a narrower range, you need a suitable power supply to drop the
12V to 8V. Something like this:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...supply&doy=4m7

and a trailing cigar lighter socket:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...socket&doy=4m7